Monday, September 22, 2008

The Corset

I don't know if I have mentioned that while I have been home I have been working in a small intimates shop called The Corset Shop. We have lots of pretty things, as well as the odd and unexpected i.e. bras the size of my head, literally. But I have honed my fitting skills and I can sell a mean bra. So last week we had our 60th anniversary. The owner put up a vintage display of corsets and lingerie and this morning it was my task to take them down. So I found myself wrestling with the mannequin up front.



I could not get this corset to budge and I'm up there talking to myself and muttering this and that and something about "..how in the world did they ever get themselves into these things let alone out of them?" when my fingers finally fumble across the solution, only I laugh out loud when I realize what the solution was; 60 eye hooks from the top of the thigh right up under the arm. Are you kidding me?



Never again will I complain about societies expectation of the female undergarment,we don't have much of one any more. And thinking about it now, it is more convenient, definitely more comfortable, but I can't help but wonder if all that underwear didn't leave a little more to the imagination. Not like I'm going to pretend to know anything about this but, my co-worker mentioned that our opposite sex may also appreciate the fact that women's under-apparel no longer requires 60 or so eye hooks to remove, but then I say maybe they'd like the challenge, every once in a while. In any case I will give it a pretty, but cumbersome in catalogue speak as it was so kind as to give me a good laugh this morning.

3 comments:

Abby said...

Wow, that is incredible. I am speechless. I wonder what their nursing bras consisted of...I think I will look up the history of it when I get a minute...

Mary said...

Hi Emily - this was funny - it's great to have a link to the Jones' family from Josh and Fran - that way I can keep up with all of you!!!

Love and Miss you

Mary Banac

Erin said...

hey you! found yours through abby's. i cant blieve it! that is crazy. sometimes i think i would love to live back then, but then i think all the layers and the heat and realize im thankful for these days!