Thursday, July 9, 2009

Tri-Cake Trial

I spent lots of time on Tuesday putting together this party for my dear friend Charlee. I wish it hadn't been my first time making the main cake, I could have made it look much prettier. But this layer cake of vanilla and chocolate genoise with mango mousse, coconut Bavarian cream, chocolate ganache and a lemon glaze, ended up tasting much better than I thought it would and was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. So I was glad I challenged myself with this one. The coconut cupcakes were good as well but I cooked the cupcakes longer than I wanted to and they could have been a little less dry. The chocolate ganache cupcakes were good as well. The ganache was great but I was disappointed by the new recipe I tried for the cake. Should have stuck with the tried and true that I always use. It was fun though and had me thinking all over again that I should own a tiny little bakery and create all day. But then it would be work.


It was a great party and my room mate Mauri saved me at the last hour and helped make everything come together. My friend Jed came right in at the very beginning and did my prep dishes, and then stayed at the end and did the rest. Thank you Jed! I hate doing the dishes! So much so in fact, (and my mom will appreciate this) that once as a freshman in high school my mom had been asking me to do the same dishes for maybe two days. I did everything I could to find something else to do to avoid it. Finally on the second day I snuck passed the sink on my way to school hoping she would give in and have mercy on my dish hating self. Not! Second period English class, we were reading Shakespeare(you remember these kinds of details when trauma occurs). The phone rang and my teacher picked it up. She turned, looked right at me, and in front of the whole class said "Miss Jones, Your mother is in the office, she said you need to come home and finish doing the dishes and then she will bring you back to school." I was mortified, and furious, but I did those dishes. I'm sure my mom thought it was the best idea she's ever had. Needless to say my mother never had problems with my lack of attention to post dinner clean-up again. My unborn children should fear the day they refuse to do the dishes, I learned the hard way what type of motivation works. I'm not afraid to use it.

2 comments:

Phil and roxy said...

I'm so impressed with 3 blogs in july and it's only the 10th. Just so you know. I read them. and by the way any cake you make is FABULOUS!

Jenny said...

That cake sounds delicious! You are so ambitious. Add that to what I said before...with purpose, ambitiousness and occasionally vivacious!

I love that your Mom pulled you out of class to do the dishes. What a fabulous idea!